Sunday, April 19, 2009

Finally Caught Up!

Although it is a regular occurrence for me to return home from a trip shortly before the quarter begins, it is not a regular occurrence for me to return AFTER the quarter began. But as you know, the best laid plans....

I am finally able to take a few minutes to share some more thoughts about the trip to England.

Today, I would like to share my home stay with you.

Being a non-traditional student, I was a little apprehensive about staying with one of the Bridgwater students. I am, after all, the mother of three kids who are the ages of the typical student at Bridgwater.

Our hosts, Alistair and Rachel, were kind enough to arrange for me to stay with one of the instructors at Bridgwater, Marina.

Before we arrived, Marina and I had corresponded via email. I learned she was originally from Russia. She let me know that she considered herself to be British but with the Russian hospitality flair. As I didn't know what the English hospitality flair was, I knew I would be in for a real treat.

Marina lives alone in an adorable townhouse. She loves to garden and has done a lot of work renovating the two story house she purchased. As I got a chance to look around my first thoughts were that I was staying in "The house Ikea built" but I didn't dare say that, as I didn't know if it would be offensive.

On my first evening in Bridgwater, Marina asked if I was hungry. We arrived at about 8:30 pm and even though I don't eat heavy when I travel, I really wasn't hungry after a late lunch. Marina let me know that I really was hungry and she served me a salad and some chinese wontons. I thought the amount was absolutely perfect and the flavors wonderful (Marina has a great fresh herb garden). I figured that amount of food wasn't so bad. Then she brought out the main dish of pasta and mushrooms! Yes, I ate it! Yes, it was tasty!

The other travelers soon began to call me the spoiled one. Marina made sure I was well fed and taken care of. Breakfast was not an option! I chose between flakes (like cornflakes but organic grains) or porridge and, of course, tea. Even though we might have lunch plans, she packed me a snack each morning before we set off for the day. I learned to really appreciate the cheese sandwiches she packed. Wonderful cheese in England!

I learned during my stay that her furnishings are from Ikea so my thoughts were offensive at all. I love her style and the simplicity of her home. It was inviting and refreshing.

I really didn't want Marina to make a fuss over me but I have to admit I'm ready to go back and continue to be spoiled by her.

1 comment: