Saturday, April 4, 2009

A short, sweet entry

Most of the rest of us have updated you as to our travels and sightseeing excursions so I will avoid that, for now. Please continue to check the blog for a few more weeks as I know I will be continuing to blog as I go back over our notes.

I've discovered quite a bit about myself during this trip. Although I am a frequent traveler (so frequent in fact, I've gotten an upgrade to business class for the Heathrow to New York leg of the trip, when we get off the ground. See Alice's post below.) I didn't realize how difficult it can be to be out of touch with those we want to be in touch with. Even with my unlimited data plan, I could only email my family inexpensively. With the 8 hour time difference, there was only about 8 hours of consecutive awake time and that was mostly taken up with excursions for us here. I've missed this contact. Speaking of missing contacts, I lost one of my contacts (for the eyes this time) in London on the way to Somerset. I lost the right (and correct) contact to lose because it was my 'reading' contact and I have reading glasses with me. If I had lost the left contact, I would have been in trouble as this is my distant contact.

So, what I've learned is this: even when things are going all the best, I can still enjoy myself. I didn't let the lack of contact with my family or the loss of the contact keep me from thorougly enjoying myself. I've learned that I really don't want to live in the big city. I think Glastonbury is the place for me. It's quite eclectic and quite funky. I could easily warm up to my granola, hippy side there. I've learned that four people can get along in small quarters (the hostel) and not snip at each other - its a lesson for me to take back to my three children and the much larger quarters we live in. I've learned that I am extremely fortunate to have been selected on this trip. The sightseeing was wonderful but I really enjoyed my time in Somerset and learning about Bridgwater College. I wish to thank those who made it possible for me to be here.

Okay so this wasn't so short and so sweet but I will close now so the others can blog. Keep checking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment