Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Foam Party

March 31, 2009

We could not blog yesterday so I thought I might outline my wonderful experience yesterday. Waking up in the morning was just awful; I wanted to sleep in my comfy bed all day. But I did arise to the jolly "good morning" of my host "mother" Angela who supplied me with cough drops and lemon/honey tea. Amazing. Stacy, my host, and I ran to the bus and made it...it was close though. We arrived at Bridgwater and I went to the HUB to interview a couple students. Randomly chosen, I simply started talking with two girls that are first year students. I got to learn about their curriculum, but they mostly just wanted to talk about America. One student was completing A-levels which is similar to standard classes at CBC for a general AA, while the other was studying a vocation in forensic science. They both had different amounts of homework and classess, but both agreed that they loved going to college. They were ages 16 and 17 which means they chose to go to Bridgwater even though they were not legally required to attend school. After my interviews I headed back to our group where we set off to Mooch by the seashore for a walk. Being right on the edge of the coast and the countryside was sublime. Just peaceful. I also found my dream house....well technically it was a castle, but it suited me quite nicely.
We arrived at the old Chantry which is a quaint garden where we had traditional cream tea. It was bomb. Pardon my lingo. We had devonshire cream and jam on scones with brown sugar and cream in our tea. Absolutely delicious. After this, we (Alice, Tiffany, Angela, Rachael and Ed, our amazing bus driver) all headed to Cannington Center, which is another site for Bridgwater college where they have vocational trainings in areas such as agriculture management, animal management, golf, aboriculture, and other studies. We saw turtles, snakes, dogs, mice, rodents, a crazy parrot named Jeffrey, and other miscellanious animals. Their vocational program through Cannington Center is very diversified and helps students kinesthetically train for their career of choice.
Quickly heading over to the Student Support building, we all had meetings to attend. I met with Abbey and about ten other students. We talked for about two hours about what college life is like in England comparable to America. Next we all met up with Alistair and Mike, the vice principle of the college, for a wonderful dinner. I ordered a hamburger. Please don't think me un-American, but I loved their burgers better than ours. The burger had a sort of apple and onion dressing that added so much taste!
Next, we went bowling. Competition was definitely in the air. Everytime Alistair got a strike, I would get one as well. It was loads of fun. But what really made the evening interesting was the student party that Tiffany and I went to with our host "sisters." It was called a foam party, because they shoot out tons of suds onto the dance floor. It was held at a pub in downtown Bridgwater. It was really different than student parties at CBC, but still quite the experience:)
I wrote this on behalf of yesterday, so today's blog will arrive tomorrow. Brilliant!
Bye
-Cori

No comments:

Post a Comment