Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Homestay Experience

It is the morning of April 1…instead of the end. Therefore, I thought it good to give you a brief overview of my homestay family since my day is yet to begin. Fortunately or unfortunately – whichever way you want to look at it – our days have been packed with project work and visits. Therefore, it is hard to find time to blog…My goal was for the students to blog daily; but because of our lack of wireless internet at our homestays and the limited amounts of “free time” on the Bridgwater campus, their blogs have become a “when we have time” idea. Again, not a problem, just something to be flexible about. But on to the homestays…

My homestay family consists of 4 people: Alistair (the father), Charlotte (the mother), George (the little boy), and Alice (the baby – and yes, she is named after me). They are a delightful family who lives in Quantock – which is a beautiful village and countryside. Due to our packed schedules, we tend to only see our families in the morning. Thursday night (the night before we leave for London) is reserved for a home dinner with our families, so I won’t experience family night life until then. However, mornings are very eventful. Little Alice is only 18 months, so she is up with the sun. George’s pitter patter of tiny feet is a welcome sound in which to arise each morning. He is five years old. On my first morning, both children were a little shy, but they warmed up to me after presents (a stuffed frog and Lego). Breakfast is a quick and warm family affair with toast, banana (for the children), and tea….light and simple just the way I like it.

The actual house is cozy and comfortable. It is consists of four small but amply adequate bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room with a eating area, a kitchen, laundry, staircase, entry, and garage. As we have found, English living tends to be UP instead of OUT. This simply means that houses or cottages are usually two, three, or four floors instead of spreading vastly across one floor. Therefore, when visiting, let’s hope guests are not weak in the knees – stairs tend to be a “must maneuver” item, both here and in London.

I am very grateful to my homestay family for being so kind. I have my own room. They have given me full access to the best bathroom in the house – the one with the glass shower (YAY!). They are extremely respectful of my privacy and space. They also let me interrupt their normal routine each morning with requests for tea and toast. Alistair is also kind enough to answer all of my questions in the car on the way to the College each morning. It has been a wonderful stay! They are a splendid family full of love and happiness.

JUST A NOTE! We will not have internet access tomorrow at the College. Therefore, only those students who have internet at their homestay houses will be able to blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment