Thursday, April 2, 2009

Wells and Glastonbury

From April 1st:

We were crammed with wonderful things to do yesterday. And plus, I was feeling a million times better thanks to cough drops and syrup, hot tea, tylenol, and sleep. I arrived at the college on time and ready for a busy day. After having a quick meeting with the group, I went with a student named India to shadow her International Baccaloreate (IB) Chemistry course. Next I met with Richard from Bridgwater's media team where I learned some useful tools for formatting the guide. I will definitely be emailing Richard for more good tips in the future. And after this (they do keep us busy:), I had an interview with Zoe from the Arts and Design department who helps run a program called tutorials. This program basically is a required lesson that students must attend every week for an hour. Tutorials are an outlet for which students can voice any concerns they are having whether it be problems with a class, bullying, issues at home, or any other difficulties.

After we were all done working on our projects at Bridgwater, Alistair and Ed took us to Wells so we could see the Cathedral. Our tour guide showed us some great stories about Wells and just a boatload of wonderful tidbits. He was actually one of the vocalists in the choir that sings at Wells Cathedral; he gave us a small sliver of his musical ability in the meeting chapel (I believe that is what it was called) where the acoustics were marvelous. I think I speak for most of us when I say that it was probably the coolest part of the tour. We also got to see the second oldest clock in the world, presumably.

Then we were off to Glastonbury where we walked the ruins of an abby where apparently King Arthur was buried. It was a very peaceful place. I would liked to have spent the whole day there just sitting on the grass; it was lovely. I found some very interesting stores while we were there, and bought some very old books. Oh but the next part...Alistair practically dragged us up this huge hill known as the Glastonbury Tor. He made it sound like it was a small mound. Haha. Not really, but Tiffany and I climbed it with ardent fervor and were completely happy the entire way up. Ok, that might not be totally true, but none the less, we felt very accomplished once we reached the top. The view was undescribable. No camera or picture could really grasp what we saw. Heavenly.

I am sure when we returned, people were wondering what they had done to all of us as we looked completely exhausted. Once my host family picked me up, we went to dinner. We had such a fun time laughing and learning all about each other's countries.

Then I went to sleep:)

No comments:

Post a Comment